[gen] Re: More ideas...

Mathias Roslund amidog at amidog.com
Sun Sep 23 11:43:48 BST 2001

Hi!

>> And finally, the vdp.c code has a bunch of "toggles" to turn on/off
>> certain features, but those are not changable while using the portable
>> console interface or the other AmigaOS port I also maintain. So, why not
>> have a define for this as well, just replacing the variables with defines
>> should be enough since no compiler is stubid enough to actually generate
>> any compare code for an "if (1) {}" statement.
>
> I don't understand - what's not changable?

Guess I should've spent some more time on this one.

I meant something like this:

#ifdef NO_VDP_FLAGS
#define vdp_layerB 1
#define vdp_layerBp 1
#else
unsigned int vdp_layerB = 1;
unsigned int vdp_layerBp = 1;
#endif

As far as I can tell, it's not possible to change the value of the vdp flags
from the console interface, and I don't support it with the other AmigaOS
port either. After all, who would want this? I can understand that it may
be usefull for debugging, but not for the end user, or am I wrong?

I don't know if it really makes any performance difference, but there can be
nothing wrong with removing a couple of conditional branches.

BTW. I would recommend just disabling all the "no unused" etc warnings only
for the 68k core. I did this and found plenty of unused variables all over
the place...

Best regards,

Mathias Roslund